Tuesday, July 6, 2010

All in the family

Having seen more posts about the need to stand up against bigotry in RuneScape, I want to come out and say my peace.

With a chat message calling out racial slurs or homophobic epithets, I silently report and go about my gaming. I don't get into a big harangue about it with the insulter or call out my friends/clan for argument backup. I don't make a big deal out of it. Why? I think most of it's laid bait for reactionary purposes and I'm not going to fall for it.

As for the swastika-shaped fires/ashes, save for the impotent, do-gooder, "that's wrong" speech, there's nothing to be done about it. Unless  the swastika creator is babbling about the strength of the Aryan race, how Jews/blacks/homosexuals need to burn in their ovens or talks at all, you can't report them. I will say that's the shitty part of the game's report system. I like to think a screenshot is taken at the moment I hit the Report Abuse button, but I think it only goes through the chat log.

Yeah, I know my not giving a shit perpetuates the bigotry. I really don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment