Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My level is

It's not long until you reach the big goal of fishing: sharks. A few more lobsters separate you and you prepare the big moment like you've seen others do in clan chat countless times. You go into clan quick chat and say:

My fishing level is 75.

Another lobster crawls inside the cage; bang! Fireworks explode over your head and in triumph you tell the clan:

My fishing level is 76.

The congratulations pour in from those in the chat, along with the invariable troll to spoil your achievement:

My fishing level is 99.

This happens every single day in Canting. A person will be working on a skill, mention the current and newly achieved levels in clan quick chat, only to be overshadowed by someone outstripping them, usually with a 99. It comes off as being rude. You trolls piss all over another person's accomplishment because you want to be seen as a better player. It's nice that you have 99 fishing, but you've had your parade so let someone else shine for a moment.

3 comments:

  1. I hate that! I try so hard not to do that unless it is absolutely intended to be a joke in the right context. No matter what the level I always cheer them on unless I am AFK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you put it that way, I feel terrible about when I did it. I do realize that I've had my big parties and I was once there. I need to congratulate them on their achievement and not get them down.

    Wonderful way of putting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One up-manship is really annoying. Someone worked hard on getting something they're proud of, be stoked for them.

    This goes for real life too. There's always that one guy...

    Just know this though, you're happy about your level and they're obviously insecure about something.

    ReplyDelete