Thursday, March 4, 2010

Here's to your health

The main update in my eyes was the new life points system. I was ready to crawl inside Nomad's tent and give him a good kicking when the long awaited system update timer appeared. I groaned, knowing I'd be champing at the bit for at least 30 minutes to get back online and try my hand at this epic battle.

The basics of life points is just add a 0 to your hit life points and all the damage you do in combat. It looks amazing to whack something for 300 damage, though you'll about have a heart attack when you get hit for that much. The bit to factor in is under the old hit points system, the fractional damage got truncated (ie: I hit for 24.5 but the .5 is dropped off). With the life points system, that extra bit gets added back on (ie: I hit for 245) because the decimal point is moved to the right one place. An interesting part of this is Nomad's max hit used to be your max hit points minus one (ie: I would get hit for 98), now his max hit is the same formula but moved one decimal place (ie: he hits me for 989).

Changing the name alone is causing problems. How do you shorten constitution and construction without confusing both skills?  I don't even want to think about the ranting, raging and quitting on the RSOF. From what others have told me, players are ranting that this is making RuneScape too much like WoW and they can't tell when to eat in combat (specifically PvP).

ION, Shattered Heart has been released. This is a mini game distraction activity where you get stones while performing non-combat skills (except construction where you just sit/stand inside your house near the portal). Once you get a stone or stones, take them to Varrock museum and talk to one of the archaeologists to learn about this guy, Dahmaroc, who fought for the limited supply of runes during the Second Age. Carry your stones over to the plinth west of the main doors and use them on it. You'll get a chunk of experience based on that skill level. Upon completing the statue, you get a cut scene and watch the statue explode into pieces. Now you can put the plinth in your house's study and try to assemble the statue again.

I haven't seen anyone finishing the house statue yet, so no idea on the reward from that. I wonder if we keep building the statue, only to watch it explode over and over every time we place 30 rocks on the plinth, or will the second statue remain whole for some other purpose.

So far, I don't mind getting the stones, even actively working to get them. The downsides of this are training up skills just to get a pair of stones for a statue that I don't know what it does and the limited choices of how to train in order to get said stones.

No comments:

Post a Comment